About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Under the direction of the Director, Visitor & Hospitality Services, the Hospitality Senior Associate is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the Visitor Center, La Kretz House of Hope and the Arthur & Rosalie Kaplan Family Pavilion, Kaplan Kitchen, Anthony F. Markel Family City of Hope Museum and Platt 1 Conference Room, including establishing organization-wide guidelines for the usage of the facilities, maintenance of external vendor relationships and invoicing, scheduling of meeting space, coordination of on-site special events, fulfillment of catering, equipment rental and decoration requests and producing Executive Leadership events, Philanthropy Investitures and annual International Museum Day events.
She/he will manage the planning, developing, coordinating, implementing and executing of strategies related to more than 700 annual activities City of Hope meetings and events held within the Visitor Services facilities. She/he will ensure the delivery of high quality, high impact tours, meetings and events which reflect our mission and support the overall institutional goals. She/he will collaborate with staff from across the institution.
Key Responsibilities include:
* Responsible for the guest experience of approximately 500 tours, more than 700 annual meetings and events held within the Visitor Center, La Kretz House of Hope, the Arthur & Rosalie Kaplan Family Pavilion, the Museum and Platt 1 Conference Room.
* Oversee the daily operations and maintenance of the Visitor Center, La Kretz House of Hope Arthur & Rosalie Kaplan Family Pavilion, Kapan Kitchen, the Markel Family Museum and Platt 1. Maintains master calendar and record of venue reservations. Ensures that venues are adequately stocked for daily and special event needs (i.e. audio/visual, seating, floral, d??cor, etc.). Ensures adherence to regulations and quality standards.
* Manage and produce strategic Executive Leadership events, such as Receptions for members of the Executive Leadership Team and Senior Leadership Team, Philanthropy Investitures and Directorships, conceptualize and execute the annual International Museum Day related events and activities collaborating with Communications, Marketing, Media Relations and Creative Services.
* Act as the primary point of contact for the Office of the Board producing the logistical aspects of meetings and events held in the Visitor Center and the Arthur & Rosalie Kaplan Family Pavilion.
* Manage the logistics and details including: venue set up, food and beverage, presentations and/or entertainment and provide on-site logistical support for tours, meetings and events including set-up and breakdown.
* Run the day-to-day catering operations and services of the Kaplan Kitchen which includes ensuring health and safety regulations are strictly observed, monitor the quality of the product and service provided by accurately and easily communicating standards and cooking methods to staff, lead teams of chefs and catering assistants, hire, train, and supervise temporary catering staff, and plan menus in consultation with Executive Chefs.
* Serve as liaison with outside vendors for flowers, promotional items and other goods and services to ensure consistent quality and cost effectiveness.
* Maintain relationships with existing vendors including contracts, payment and performance monitoring, sources new vendors and facilitates contract negotiations as needed. Oversees contracted catering staff.
* Advises venue requestors on the elements of successful meeting and event planning by proposing ideas to improve meeting and event quality along with facilitating requisitions for Audio-Visual, catering, equipment rental requests as needed per meeting and/or event.
* Personally and professionally models the highest standards of collaboration, integrity, respect and commitment to deliver.
* Answers event related and Visitor Services phone calls. Provide on-site tours and venue site reviews of the Visitor Center, La Kretz House of Hope the Arthur & Rosalie Kaplan Family Pavilion, the Anthony F. Markel Family City of Hope Museum and Platt 1.
* Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
* Provides positive and effective customer service that supports departmental and hospital operations.
* Contributes to the teamwork within and between departments and organizations.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
* Bachelor's Degree. Experience may substitute.
* 5 years of event planning, hospitality and special project experience.
* Familiarity with kitchen sanitation and safety regulations.
* Ability to manage catering teams in a fast-paced work environment.
* Willingness to work nights and weekends.
* Excellent time management and organizational skills.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and negotiation skills.
* Excellent written and verbal skills.
* Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
Preferred education experience and skills:
* Marketing, Communications, tourism or Hospitality Management degree preferred.
* Certification from a culinary school preferred.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Associated topics: academic, activity, after school, aquatics, campground, coordinator, day camp, program, summer, youth