This internship position will provide an opportunity to gain hands-on experience working with people with a variety of disabilities in a community Therapeutic Recreation setting. Guided by a certified and licensed Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, interns will be exposed to the broad spectrum of services provided by Specialized Recreation and Inclusion Services, all while meeting the internship requirements set by NCTRC and university standards. This can include but is not limited to: inclusion services, summer camp, medical support, social club outings, and Special Olympics. This position may work up to 45 hours per week. Hours may vary including days, nights, and weekends as needed.
* Possess the appropriate education and fieldwork meeting university requirements to be eligible to complete Therapeutic Recreation internship.
* Experience working with youth and/or adults with special needs.
* Experience administering a variety of treatment modalities using the APIE method.
* Ability to take initiative and successfully work both independently and in group settings.
* Strong leadership and communications skills.
* Proficient at Microsoft Office and the use of other office software and equipment.
Associated topics: art therapy, drama therapy, expressive art, expressive therapist, rec, recreation, recreational, rehabilitation, rtc, therapist activities