Elementary Nutrition Educator, Healthy Harlem
Compensation: $83,360.00 - $125,800.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Education - Excluding Post Secondary
Healthy Harlem is an initiative that encourages our students and their families to incorporate healthy food choices and physical activity into their daily lives. The program consists of best practices in physical activity, nutrition education, and community support. Healthy Harlem is designed to instill a culture of healthy living throughout the Zone but is more expansive and strategically focused in the way we reach youth in our programs, their parents and care givers, and the community at-large.
We are seeking dynamic, energetic educators to conduct nutrition and cooking lessons for students and caregivers. Nutrition educators are part of site-based teams dedicated to implementing Healthy Harlem programming at respective sites and report to the health coordinator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct curriculum-based nutrition education classes/workshops for students, grades Pre-K through 12
- Facilitate cooking lessons to teach students healthy recipes, cooking techniques, kitchen tools and equipment, and safety
- Maintain a positive classroom environment conducive to learning, creativity, safety, and fun
- For those working with students in Pre-K – grade 2, incorporate songs, puppet shows, arts and crafts, and a variety of creative approaches to teach healthy eating
- Advocate healthier eating for students, families, and staff
- Provide clear classroom instructions, including learning objectives and transitions
- Provide consistent motivation, enthusiasm, and role modeling for healthy lifestyle choices
- Gather measurements for height, weight and PACER fitness test
Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in nutrition, food studies, culinary arts or related field
- Experience implementing hands-on nutrition education and cooking activities in school-based, after-school, camp, and/or community-based settings
- Proficient in nutrition concepts and cooking skills
- Excellent classroom management and presentation skills
- Comfortable working in various urban settings and with diverse populations
- Team-oriented with strong organizational and collaborative skills
- Animated, energetic spirit and a positive, resilient attitude
- Adapts well to changes in assignment and priorities with the ability to respond effectively to new information, changing conditions, and unexpected obstacles
- Must be available to work after-school hours and evenings (3-7 p.m.), 20 hours per week as well as attend trainings on the second Thursday of every month, 12-2 p.m.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time
To be considered, interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)Job Requirements:* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...