Department: F.A. Day Middle School/District Fine Arts Job Title: 1.0 FTE Middle School General Music & Instrumental Music Teacher FLSA Status:
(Exempt/Non-exempt) Exempt; Unit A Reports to: Principal/K-8 Fine Art Coordinator general description (1-3 lines describing role): This position provides an opportunity for an energetic and highly organized teacher of general music/instrumental music to teach a variety of middle school instrumental ensembles and general music classes. General music instruction includes but is not limited to basic guitar, music appreciation & history, Garage Band, composition and note reading. Instrumental Music includes 6th grade concert band, combined 7th/8th grade concert band, combined 6th - 8th grade orchestra, elective jazz band. Minimum of evening winter concert(s) and end of year concert(s) annually. Qualifications:
* Bachelor's Degree, Master's degree preferred * Minimum of 5-years' experience conducting youth instrumental ensembles * Ability to handle multitude of varying and complex issues * Excellent oral and written communication skills * Computer experience
* Excellent instrumental musicianship * Experienced instrumental conducting * Proficient piano skills * Proficient guitar skills * Broad knowledge of musical styles, composers, music history * Proficient in Garage Band, Finale, and other music technologies for music instruction * Experience supporting students for MMEA Jr. District Auditions * Willingness to promote and sustain a culture of music in and among the school community and district * Willingness to offer an extra-curricular jazz band (additional compensation)
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES (not limited to):
The candidate appointed to this position will
* Work in collaboration with building and citywide music teachers to maintain citywide music curriculum and assessment practices * Prepare instrumental groups for seasonal concerts at school as well as special performances at Newton City Hall, the MA Statehouse, and other venues when appropriate (day and/or evening performances)
.Consistent and on-time attendance required
* Responsible for implementing \"other job related duties\" as needed
Work Environment & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this job, the teacher is frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear. The teacher is regularly required to bend, stoop, crouch and/or kneel. The teacher is occasionally required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Must have sufficient mobility to navigate within a large school building. The teacher is responsible for setting chairs for concerts and handling heavy instruments.
Date Updated: 3/22/19
Newton Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Newton Public Schools ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other class as protected by law. The Newton Public Schools places a high value on diversity and active recruitment of qualified minority teachers and staff. Any individual needing assistance in making application for any opening should contact the district human resources office.
Associated topics: album, blues, choir, hippop, jazz, music, music producer, producer, punk, record producer
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.