QuantumCamp offers a unique way to spend your summer leading students to discover their inner scientist through hands-on and student-driven activities.
QuantumCamp is a growing school enterprise with a core mission of delivering amazing, hands-on math and science courses to kids. In QC camps and courses, students forge their own profound connection to our universe through carefully constructed lab sequences, which facilitate hands-on discoveries of amazing math and science ideas.
Summer counselors facilitate concise versions of our year-long courses, while also spending lots of time outside of the classroom, in daily morning assemblies, break time games, and free play. Quantum-campers cultivate meaningful friendships with other curious learners, with the help of our staff.
- Learn, participate, and help deliver QuantumCamp's hands-on, in-depth science curriculum at our Summer Camps in Berkeley or on the San Francisco Peninsula
- Facilitate and assist in an engaging, inquiry-based science program, with experiments and projects that lead to a meaningful understanding of the world
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
- Help support the classroom instructor deliver QC's curriculum in classes of 10-15 students
- Occasionally instruct portions of QC's curriculum
- Assist QC instructors in classroom preparation before class and clean-up after class including organization and management of all classroom supplies and space
- Supervise students and engage them in activities during break times and at the lunch period
- Supervise students and engage them in constructive activities in before & after care programs
- Compile weekly rosters, and a variety of camp materials each week
- Assist in basic social media tasks
- Enable positive student behavior in the classroom by enforcing rules and procedures established by QC
- Represent QC outside the classroom professionally to all constituents
Potential candidates should be available for the following dates:
- Orientation, Training, and Site Prep: June 5 - 7th
- Summer Camps: Monday, June 10th to Friday, August 2nd
- Camp Wrap-Up: Monday, August 5th
* Orientation and training days will occur at our headquarters in Berkeley *
SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT ATTRIBUTES
- You are compelled to help students with their academic, social, and emotional growth, and have the skills and experience to help keep campers focused on learning with minimal distractions.
- You are a passionate, patient, engaging individual, who is highly organized and understands that the classroom environment has an impact on learning.
- You are upbeat, determined and motivated to engage students in exciting experiences both in the classrooms and at break times.
- You are excited to contribute to an innovative classroom experience.
- You are continually seeking to design deeper and more meaningful educational experiences for students, and love sharing new ideas to support the intellectual growth of your students.
- You work cooperatively and flexibly as part a team
- You have excellent, respectful and constructive communication skills.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- You must be 18 years or older
- Experience with children ages 6-12 preferred
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs
- Valid CA driver's license and car preferred
COMPENSATION AND HOURS
- Wages: $15.00 per hour
- Hours: Counselors will work two alternating shifts during the summer: Shift A is 7:45-4:15, and Shift B is 10-6:30, with a 30 minute break for lunch. Candidates need to be available to work from 7:45-6:30 during the summer, though no day will exceed 8 hours without authorization for overtime.
QuantumCamp is a growing school enterprise with a core mission of delivering amazing, hands-on math and science courses to kids in three platforms: QC In-School Labs, Homeschool Hubs, and Summer Camps.
Schools around the world are partnering with QuantumCamp and directly incorporating our unparalleled library of science and math courses.
In QC courses, students forge their own profound connection to our universe through carefully constructed lab sequences, which facilitate hands-on journeys through amazing math and science ideas.
In this radical approach, we place kids in history, just before new knowledge was discovered. We set them free pursuing this new knowledge for themselves. All of science and math, then, becomes theirs. Each student is a shared owner of all the profound ideas in math and science.
QuantumCamp has built 54 courses spanning 12 grade levels totaling over 1,600 hours of hands-on content, each of which is an arc of experiments and activities which draw students into the grandeur of an idea to be discovered.
Associated topics: activity, after school, aquatics, counselor, day camp, fws, middle school, science, vacation, youth