HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital is part of the UMass Memorial Health Care system. Serving northern central Massachusetts, we are committed to improving the health of people through excellence in care and comprehensive health services. Promoting healthy lifestyle habits, we serve as a role model by having a tobacco and smoke free campus and hiring nicotine free employees. By exploring careers with us, you are committed to giving your best to our patients, our community and everyone working on our HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital Care Team. Whatever your career choice, know that at HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital you can make a difference.
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Social Worker, Case Management assists patient and families in adjusting to episodes of acute and chronic illness, in coping with lifestyle changes precipitated by illness or disability, in participating in restorative health programs, in carrying out discharge recommendations, and in addressing issues of terminality. Using a variety of treatment modalities, assists patients and families in the alleviation or resolution of social, financial and emotional problems related to illness, health care and rehabilitation.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
* Interviews patients and family within 24 hours of referral to obtain data on personal, social, medical, emotional, cultural and religious history in order to outline problems requiring SW intervention. * Establishes plans and documents interventions and outcomes. * Assists with difficulties that interfere with obtaining the maximum benefits from health care. * Interacts with patient/family with sensitivity and respect. * Coordinates with the Nurse Case Manager and Interdisciplinary team regarding discharge planning, arranging services as needed. * Identifies barriers that result in delays in discharge and assists in the development of strategies to minimize their occurrence. * Actively participates and provides pertinent information in length of stay meetings, discharge planning rounds, during unit daily report, clinical practice teams and department meetings. * Remains a patient advocate. * Initiates patient/family and provider team meetings to develop and plan strategies related to psycho-social and economic issues, particularly those related to care progression and transition. * Provides education related to Advanced Directives, Guardianship, etc. * Provides support and counseling to patient/families experiencing and /or anticipating issues to adjusting to illness, catastrophic diagnoses, changes in living situations and bereavement. * Conducts support groups for targeted populations. * Consults, assesses, refers, coordinates interventions in cases of suspected or actual situations of child or adult abuse and neglect or other forms of domestic violence and/or sexual violence. * Reports required information to regulatory agencies per policy and procedure. * Provides advanced directive education, counseling and support as needed. * Serves as the lead in obtaining legal guardianship and competency determinations. Completes and disseminates all necessary legal and clinical documentation as required. * Serves as the lead in managing adoption related situations. * May provide supervision to social work students. * Maintains confidentiality, adheres to HIPAA regulations and corporate compliance standards. * Provides coverage to designated units, including the ED, in the absence of the assigned CSW.
Job duties for all positions:
* Takes responsibility for ensuring that all work outcomes satisfy the HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital Three Pillars: Finance, Quality, and Service Excellence. * The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of HealthAlliance Hospitals and serve as a role model for the CARES - It Happens Here customer service initiative. * Demonstrates excellent attendance and actively participates in a variety of meetings and training sessions as required. * Demonstrates a friendly, responsive, service-minded attitude to all internal and external customers. * Communicates ideas effectively. Shares information and keeps others properly informed. Gives, and is open to useful feedback. * Adheres to the HealthAlliance Hospital Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards and dress code. * Complies with established environment of care/safety policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements. * Maintains and fosters an organized, clean, safe work environment. * Actively contributes to the development and application of process improvements. * Maintains a collaborative, team relationship with peers and colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the group's achievement of goals and to help foster a positive work environment. * Demonstrates respect for the diversity of patient and employee populations. Supports and encourages diverse points of view, work and lifestyles. * Practices cost containment and fiscal responsibility through the efficient use of supplies, equipment, time, etc. * Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
* Ability to exercise independent judgment. * Able to prioritize workload in an efficient, timely manner. * Demonstrates positive, helpful behaviors. * Skilled in the use of community based, insurance and financial resources to meet specific patient needs. * Ability to relate with patients, families, co-workers, the multidisciplinary team and community agencies in a professional and sensitive manner. * Communicates in a clear, concise and logical manner in oral and written presentations. * Computer skills to support documentation of patient care as well as case finding. * Ability to read, write and speak clearly in English.
* M.S. in Social required. (Note an equivalent combination of education and experienced may be considered per the statement below).
* One to three years' experience in an acute care setting. * One to two years' experience in discharge planning.
An equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency
in the areas of responsibility listed above may be substituted for the above education
and experience requirements.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, ETC. :
* Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
Associated topics: adult, behavioral health, disabilities, mental health, outpatient, rww, substance, tirr, violence, women
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.