On an on-call/substitute basis, this position is responsible for the transportation of students and other authorized persons to and from school, field trips, extra-curricular and/or special activity trips as authorized by school district officials.
* Drive a school bus to transport students safely to and from school; transport students safely to and from field trips and other special events. Operate school bus under all types of weather conditions including but not limited to fog, rain, hail, sleet, snow and ice. * Operate a school bus in accordance with the laws of the State of Washington and policies promulgated by the Superintendent of Public Instruction. Operate all hand and foot controls installed in a school bus as required by Washington State School Bus Specifications. * Inspect and clean school bus and related equipment as required by the state and school district policy; refuel in accordance with department procedure or as otherwise needed. * Maintain control of student passengers as related to safety. Report unsafe acts or conditions which require the attention of any person other than the driver. Administer discipline policies and procedures as appropriate. * Maintain a positive atmosphere on the school bus. Be a role model for students and interact positively with them. * Complete forms, records and reports as required by the state or local school district policies accurately and legibly. Maintain and update route maps. * Utilize two-way radio to communicate with the transportation office as necessary. * Perform required operational and safety inspections of the school bus and all related equipment. Report immediately any mechanical defects and safety hazards to the Director, Coordinator or Lead Mechanic. * Establish and maintain effective positive relationships with staff, students and community groups.
* Perform basic first aid as appropriate which may include CPR. * Attend transportation in-service meetings and training as necessary. * Perform related duties as assigned.
* Reports to the Transportation Director or designee.
* Required to deal with a wide range of student, staff and public behaviors and needs in a positive and service oriented manner. * May occasionally deal with distraught or difficult students or parents.
* Required to sit for prolonged periods of time. * Must be able to bend, stoop, and kneel as necessary to secure wheel chairs on the bus. * Must be able to assist students getting on and off the bus. * Ability to lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds.
Education and Experience
* High School diploma or GED. * Must possess or have the ability to obtain a Class B CDL with passenger endorsement.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Ability to communicate effectively with students, staff, and parents. * Must be flexible to constantly changing routes, pick up and drop off times and locations and other issues as they arise. * Possess the desire to be a role model for students and to interact positively with students. * Knowledge of operation of emergency school bus equipment and accessories including but not limited to two-way radio, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, highway warning kit, snow chains, etc. * Knowledge of safety and security procedures. * Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and the public.
* Possess a valid First Aid card including CPR. * Must comply with drug and alcohol testing requirements as mandated by federal and state law. * Must be a minimum of 21 years of age. * Requires fingerprinting and background check to determine that there have been no convictions involving physical molestation, abuse, injury or neglect of a minor. * Must complete Walla Walla Public Schools Risk Management and Bloodborne Pathogens Training upon hire.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
On call as needed
The preceding list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
The Walla Walla School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The Walla Walla School District will also take steps to assure that national origin persons who lack English language skills can participate in all education programs, services and activities. For information regarding translation services or transitional bilingual education programs, contact (509) ###-####. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination:
Civil Rights Compliance Coordinator
Title IX Coordinator Section 504/ADA Coordinator
Liz Campeau, Director of HR Libby Thompson, Director of Special Education
364 S. Park Street 364 S. Park Street
Walla Walla, WA 99362 Walla Walla, WA 99362
(509) ###-#### (509) ###-####
Associated topics: art, college, education, faculty, gs 1702, lecturer, professor, special education, teach, trainer
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.